Introduction

  

    Welcome to my blog, which I have created for the F200x Explorations in Music course. As a passionate music enthusiast, I am excited to have the opportunity to share my thoughts, ideas, and unique perspectives on music with you. Music is a common interest that has helped shape my life and identity, and sharing it with others comes naturally to me. My name is Olivia Taylor, and I am thrilled to offer you a glimpse into my world of music. I also look forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas.


   I have been fortunate to experience various music genres and interact with diverse musicians. Growing up in the Caribbean, my musical influences were mainly reggae and calypso rhythms. Although my family is originally from Alaska, I spent my formative years in the Virgin Islands. I was exposed to a West Indian musical culture that shaped my taste and perspective. I have many childhood memories of attending musical events, such as Latin jazz bands playing at jazz venues in Puerto Rico and the many carnivals we attended. I moved to New York City for schooling, and I discovered a recording studio next door to my apartment in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, and an indie music venue called Death by Audio around the corner, which I often frequented. Living in New York City allowed me to attend jazz clubs where legendary musicians like Charlie Parker and Art Tatum once played. I saw many of my favorite bands from childhood, such as Cibo Matto in Central Park and Ron Carter at Blue Note. I also saw Roger Waters perform at Yankee Stadium and regularly visited The Fillmore and Music Hall of Williamsburg. I have always been deeply interested in experimental music and enjoy discovering new music when traveling. During my last visit to Germany, I had the chance to visit an exhibit called "As Slow as Possible," which features a piece of music played for the most extended duration possible without the use of computers and is still being played. I have also lived in Ireland and South America and deeply respect the instrumental talents passed down from family members through a form of tradition. Whether it's Carnatic, electronic, hip hop, heavy metal, or Uzbek, I can develop a taste for and appreciate any genre of music. Although I love music, I'm not skilled at playing musical instruments. Since I moved to Alaska, I've been exploring the local Alaskan bands to appreciate their unique music. In my free time, I plan to buy a clarinet or saxophone and practice playing during the long winter months.

Comments

  1. Ooo! Back in the late 90's and early 2000's I studied pan in the USVI and Trinidad. Nice to hear the Asian/Island fusion with Cibo Matto. I think many folks wouldn't expect that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's cool your actually from Alaska. I live here currently and can honestly say its a love hate relationship. I bet it is wonderful to live close to Central park and be able to see the many concerts they have there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that Cibo Matto is on your blog. The first time I heard them was watching Buffy The Vampire Slayer. They sang Sugar Water in the background of the town's local bar and it was so good. I haven't had much exposure to calypso style rhythms but I love a good reggae tune!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is great that you have been able to travel and be exposed to many different cultures and music. I have not known of another person who listens to Uzbek music before. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Olivia, that’s cool that you had so many diverse musical influences growing up! When I was very young, my dad used to play a jazz CD in the car, and I had it memorized to the point where I could “sing” all of the tracks (they were instrumentals). That definitely had a big impact on me as far as broadening my musical tastes. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts